Saturday, July 14, 2012

Reflections



As a learner, I feel that I am able to grasp Mathematical concepts best when I am giving opportunities to go through stages of trial and error and explore the contents of each concept. I believe that peer learning and support is very important when learning about Maths as this acts as a moral support to me and also enable me to learn through social interactions. Both chapters have provided me with an insight of the principles, the process standards of mathematics education and what it means to learn about mathematics, which is I feel could be used as a guide to maintain and upgrade the mathematics curriculum and my teaching strategies respectively. 


Maths is everywhere! It depends on how the teacher establishes meaningful activities and strategies to enhance the children’s learning. Teaching Mathematics to young children has to be done through concrete objects, where children could see the concepts being taught to them. Learning about Mathematics can be done anywhere and anytime and there are no fixed methods of teaching concepts of Mathematics.





I could relate closely to the five process standards as some of which are what I have been doing all these while during my journey of teaching Mathematics to the kindergarten children. My lessons are executed in such a way that there is a fair balance of small group learning and individual learning activities. 


This child is displaying her understanding of tens and ones with the use of counters 


These girls are learning about the concept of measurement and volume through a water play activity





Children applying the concept of one to one correspondence in groups with use of cubes







Being a Math teacher myself, I recognise the importance of giving my students the opportunity to learn Math in an interesting, fun and enriching manner. Mathematics is a subject that can be quite a challenge to teach as it involves the process of analysing, thinking and brainstorming on the different concepts. Kindergarten children might find the above processes a challenge and might even lose their interest in learning mathematics if the teacher does not deliver it through a less daunting and enjoyable manner. As a result, I always try my very best to deliver my lessons to the best of my ability, using a variety of tools and activities to illustrate the mathematical concepts being taught. 





Lastly, learning about Mathematics is essential in the development of young children as it teaches them problem solving skills, challenges their logical thinking and reasoning, enables them to make connections between different concepts by identifying patterns and engages them in active learning as they learn how to express abstract mathematical ideas and display Maths concepts with the use of concrete objects. 




No comments:

Post a Comment